Wednesday, June 25, 2008

training, ipod failure and statistics

What do they all have in common, you ask? My day. I spent three hours at work today talking. For three straight hours I tried to explain a majority of what I do in a week to a girl who could easily become office manager were she not an FIT student looking to get into fashion. Devyn, cutest of cute, a mere twenty-ish (and by 'ish' I mean 'or younger') can pick up and do and understand almost anything. She reminds me a lot of me at that age. I remember working at Russel Plastics and asking question after question so I could do my job "right." I was a perfectionist, and I was good. These days, I'm happy just to leave the office.

I haven't been able to get past lesson two of French by podcast (but I can understand Chris when he refers to a direction or says 'girlfriend' now), and as of today it is even more difficult. The error I am currently receiving, even after rebooting, is "FireWire connections are not supported. To transfer songs, connect the USB cable provided. Press Center to dismiss." I must have pressed Center 3 hundred million times to no avail. After a reboot, I get about twelve seconds to decide what I want to listen to. Queen of patience that I am, I opted for good ol' fashioned radio instead.

I'm discovering my own interests what with all the podcasts I've been listening to. I like science, I like health; however, I appear to be bored (or easily distracted) when listening to world relations. I am not happy about this fact. I want to be interested, so I don't see why I can't force myself to be, but it certainly takes extra concentration, which I don't often have.

Statistics. Oh annoying research-oriented pathetic statistics. I am so very banking on being able to drop tomorrow's test. But I did study my heart out for two hours and I will certainly cram for another hour prior to the exam. I just... I mean... ok, ready? Between-subject designs with more than two levels of the independent variable or more than one independent variable use independent ANOVAs for their inferential statistics. I have no idea what that means, but that is only one example of what I need to know. Within-subject designs with one independent variable having two levels gets a paired t-test. I'm not even sure that's right, I'm just hoping it is.

So speaking of stats and research and my class, here is my daily photo as it describes what's been most on my mind as well as agenda:

Looks like fun, yeah?

No comments: