Thursday, April 30, 2009

subjective opinions.

Unless you read an automotive journal, Consumer Reports, or have worked on automobiles long enough to be able to take them apart and accurately comment on what's going on "under the hood," how often should you be using the words, "X is better than Y"? I've had five cars thus far in my lifetime: a 1987 Dodge Charger (not the cool one; the one that looked like a Plymouth Duster), a 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, a 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier, a 1997 Volkswagon Cabrio Highline and my current 2007 Ford Focus. I have had problems with each and every one of these babies, and rightfully so--cars fall apart, ultimately. Aside from hearing from some unknowledgeable teenage asshole about how "plastic" the Cavalier is versus the "strong, metal" Cutlass, what information do I have as to the durability of these cars?

The answer is none. I would be basing anything I had to say on my particular experience. It would be biased, and it would be inaccurate. Yet I see this happen all the time. I am constantly in contact with people who think they are automobile connosoirs, and only twice have I ever spoken to someone who's built a car, or taken an engine apart.

Eh, I suppose I'm being snobby and cranky. I've been awake about fifteen minutes, so I suppose the sleepy has something to do with it as well. I guess what I'm trying to say is stop making comparative judgements based on absolutely no scientific information! At least all I can see that comes from it is an aura of ignorance. Who wants that, really?

No comments: